[MCR] Selkirks

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jan 23 20:19:07 EST 2011

Yesterday we finished a week at Selkirk Lodge just southwest of
Rogers Pass.

There has been well over a meter of snow in the past 10 days or so.
This overloaded deep weak layers in the snowpack and as I'm sure most
people have heard there was a major avalanche cycle mid-week with
avalanches to size 3 in our zone and to size 4 elsewhere.

Since then things have settled somewhat. We skied almost exclusively
at treeline and at that elevation in that zone we found two surface
hoar layers down 120-150 cm that were unreactive to our tests, to
skiing and to natural loading events. There were some windslab
avalanches at treeline over the week after wind events, mostly size 1
with a few size 2s. We were able to ski some steeper terrain on
moderate sized slopes with no overhead hazard from alpine terrain.

We made a few brief forays into alpine terrain but we kept to low
angled slopes with little or no overhead hazard. This was where we
saw evidence of large avalanches with most of them occurring on 35-45
degree slopes. Nearly all of them started around rocks or at the base
of cliffs. The deepest fracture lines were perhaps 150-200 cm thick
and those large avalanches seemed to have mostly been triggered by
another, smaller avalanche that started higher on the slope.

Large, naturally triggered avalanche activity has tapered off but at
the end of the week we still were avoiding steep alpine terrain as we
had very limited information on what layer the large avalanches were
failing on and how sensitive the instability was. Of note was that
with probing on the Justice Glacier at 2100 m we felt a 50 cm thick
facetted crust at the base of the snowpack and this was of concern to
us.

The skiing was really good, with the best quality being found in the
forest. Alpine areas have had a lot of wind effect.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide
www.facebook.com/alpinism