[MCR] Rogers Pass Conditiond Jan 23-28

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jan 30 22:53:09 EST 2011

January 23-28

Spent the last 5 days in Rogers Pass on the Assistant Ski Guide Training course. Here is what we found:

The week was generally mild with highs of 0 and lows of -5. Freezing levels remained below 1450m throughout the week. Several weak pulses produced 20cm of snow. Winds were light from the S - SW, but the 27th and 28th saw mod-strong winds from the South at alpine and treeline elevations.

We skied in Connaught Creek, Little Sifton area, the Hermit, McGill Shoulder, Loop Brook, Bonney Glacier, the Illecillewaet and a trip up to the Asulkan hut on the 27th and 28th.

Warming temps and moderate winds had settled 50cm of storm snow from the previous week, creating upside down conditions and soft slabs in exposed areas at all elevations. Moderate test results within this storm snow were seen throughout the week, with the primary concern being the January 19th layer down 40-60cm. Strong winds from the South over the past 2 days have created hard slabs in the Alpine and exposed treeline areas. Snow depths averaged 250 with variable depths on the glaciers ranging from 160 to 300+cm.

The deeper surface hoar layers from early and mid January were observed, but were not reactive in tests. They remained a concern as far as smaller avalanches stepping down to these layers, producing larger, more destructive avalanches. Evidence of an earlier avalanche cycle running on these layers and stepping down to the November rain crust at the base of the snowpack were observed throughout the week, with debris seen at the end of runouts in the Asulkan valley.

We managed our exposure to large overhead hazards and treated all steep slopes at treeline and above with caution. 15cm of new snow on the ground at the Pass this morning (Jan 29).

Jason Billing
Assistant Alpine Guide