[MCR] South Coast, Duffy Lake, Mt Chief Pascal

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jan 31 18:17:16 EST 2011

I skied with a group on the N slopes of Chief Pascal yesterday.

We had totally blue sky for most of the day. Air temps where between -16 and
-18. At first there was a strong north wind which blew plumes of snow off
the higher peaks, later this calmed to a light easterly. We found a strong
temperature gradient in the upper 35cm of the snow pack.

Below Tree Line we had 20cm of light snow over tree bombed icy crude,
however the cut blocks provided surprisingly good sking.

At Tree Line there was generally 30cm of light (Fist and Four Finger)
density snow over thin decomposing rain crust. Here in a protected opening
at 6200 feet we dug into the snow and got consistent Moderate Compression
Tests which fractured irregularly just above the crust.

At the same location the January 4 Surface Hoar was 90-110cm below the
surface. We got inconsistent Hard Compression Tests on this layer, but it
failed to fracture with a Rotschblock Test and it also failed to perform
during an Extended Colum Test.

Skiing was better than good at this elevation! There was lots of evidence of
the past avalanche cycle.

In the Alpine the snow was very wind effected. Many slopes where scoured to
expose a hard icy surface, and there was evidence of recent (<24 hrs)
Natural Avalanches failing in cross loaded features. Across the valley on a
North aspect slope of Joffre we saw what looked like a Sz 1-2 slab triggered
that day by a group of skiers in a cross loaded feature. We cut a
1500-2000kg cornice nose into NE aspect gully 300m NW of the summit of
Chief Pascal. It only created a Sz 1 sluff as it tumbled through the hard
wind effected snow.

Good sking at Tree Line.

Dave Sarkany

SG