[MCR] Tower of Babel. Temple East Ridge

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jul 14 12:50:59 EDT 2011

Ian Jackson and I managed to squeeze an ascent of the Tower of Babel in
between the morning deluge and the afternoon showers yesterday. The face
is dry except for some small avoidable seeps below the ski jump and the
descent gulley is snow free and soft. All the anchors are double ring bolt
stations and in good shape.

Of note were the more or less constant wet snow avalanches occurring on
all of the slopes both north and south throughout the valley while the sun
was out. In particular, the south face of Temple was in constant motion
with multiple isothermal avalanches coming off the steep snow faces. The
east ridge black tower bypass would definitely not be a place you would
want to be with these conditions. It looks like another week at least of
melt before this section will come into shape. (See Photo)

For now, or until we get a good freeze overnight, any steep snow slopes
around the main ranges would not be a good idea.

Brad White