[MCR] Tower of Babel and Temple East Ridge

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Jul 27 02:32:13 EDT 2011

I climbed the Tower of Babel two days ago, from where one enjoys a great
view of the Temple East Ridge (see attached). While the technical crux
pitches appeared snow free there is lots of snow in the Black Towers and on
the ledges used to traverse below them. These ledges are exposed to loose
snow avalanches, which could be heard rumbling down the south face from
around 11 AM on. The route climbing to the top of the black towers appears
to be threatened by HUGE cornices which can even be seen on the image. With
the nice weather that is hopefully coming our way, I would imagine this to
be a very uncomfortable place to be until these cornices have dropped, which
could take quite a while!

On the positive side and new to me, some good soul equipped the Tower of
Babel Route with the Fuhrmann start with well placed bolts at the belays.

Cheers,

Jorg Wilz

Mountain Guide (IFMGA / ACMG / VDBS)

OnTop ltd.