[MCR] West Coast Trail

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Jul 27 03:13:32 EDT 2011

I came off the Wet Coast Trail yesterday and think it is noteworthy to
mention it was muddy.

I mean serious extensive mud on the South East end. I don't have many trips
on this trail, but last year the route was in far drier and better shape.

As always the majority of the route which can be done mainly on beach is in
great shape.

I guess the last 8 months of wet weather has saturated the ground so some
flatter areas have taken on a boggy look with lots of surface water.

In particular the trail from Km 56 (Logan Creek) to Km 70 (Above Thrasher
Cove) needs mentioning. This area was a maze of mud pools, roots, and many
damaged wooden walkways. If I was to go back tomorrow I would consider
either using high cut waterproof cork boots, or just biting it and walking
through the puddles instead of trying to stay dry hopping from wet wood to
wet root risking a sloppy rough belly flop. It is nasty in there right now.

On the plus side there is no shortage of fresh drinkable water anywhere on
the trail.

Dave Sarkany