[MCR] Howson Range/Burnie Glacier Chalet

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Mar 6 22:18:14 EST 2011

Finished the second day of a week at the Burnie Glacier Chalet today.
Excellent skiing on 30cm low density snow from the storm last
Thurs/Friday. This snow is almost completely undisturbed high into the
alpine and has sloughed off steep faces > 45 degrees. Pleasant
temperatures around -8C and virtually no wind for the past few days.

The new snow underlies a widespread very hard (30cm) windslab from the
fierce winds/storm of Feb 25/26. This windslab appears to have bonded
well to the underlying facets.

No recent (<3 days) avalanches observed and only isolated avalanches
from during this past storm, mainly on steep South facing aspects. One
ski cut yesterday produced only a very small slab off a steep,
specific windloaded feature.

We have been skiing steep but smaller alpine features 40-50 degrees
(e.g. North Face Loft Peak direct, Mitre Col) and overall conditions
are fantastic. 3+m of snow on the glaciers (don't have a long enough
probe).

As of today we are calling Stability Good at all elevations and Hazard
Moderate (Alpine & Treeline) and Low (Below Treeline).

Regards,
Tom Wolfe

--
Tom Wolfe