[MCR] Rockies: Murchison Falls and Parkway Avi Obs

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Mar 9 00:53:51 EST 2011

Rockies: Murchison Falls and Icefield Parkway avalanche observations
(March 8)

-20C at Murchison Falls this morning made for hard, fracturing ice
until the sun hit the route at 1pm, which helped to soften up the
surface enabling one swing sticks on the last pitch (finally). There
is a big hanging icicle to the left of the top of the route which
would cause some damage if it decided to collapse while climbers were
on the lower pitches.

The bowl at the base of the route is sporting a hard wind/spindrift
slab. We didn't get any whoophing (as reported last week on gravsports-
ice.com) but we were happy to have the avi gear with us (beacon, probe
and shovel). Remnants of an old small (size .5) loose snow avalanche
is obvious scouring across the approach trail about 50m before the
climb.

During our drive past Waterfowl Lake this morning (approx. 7am), we
observed two fairly large (size 2-2.5) avalanches pour down the east
faces of Mt. Chephren and Mt. Epaulette. Both started from the summit
rocks that were basking in the early morning sunrise. The one on
Chephren completely engulfed The Wild Thing and The Wild Thing Direct.

Sean Isaac
ACMG Alpine Guide