[MCR] Howson Range / Burnie Glacier Chalet

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Mar 8 20:28:31 EST 2011

Four days into a week up at Burnie Glacier Chalet.

Yesterday we ventured up the Burnie Step (an imposing feature
approaching 50 degrees), skis on the whole way up. We continued up the
Burnie Glacier and into the S. Telkwa and did a couple of gentle
glacier runs. Excellent conditions throughout the day, with deep
powder skiing down the Burnie Step. The high alpine (e.g. mountain
tops, steep exposed faces, cols) has had a fair bit of wind but it was
still easy to find great skiing.

Last night the weather came in. Currently we have about 25cm (and
still snowing) adding to 15cm storm snow from the past week. These
layers are bonding well to the previous low density 30cm from 110303
which in turn is bonding well to the underlying surfaces. No
persistent week layers appear to be present in this snowpack.

On lower elevation S aspects there is a thin sun crust that formed
yesterday afternoon. Skiing on Tom George Mtn today was nonetheless
sensational -- the soft crust is well buried by now -- and we almost
went for a fourth 700m run it was so good! But beer and munchies won
the debate.

We are calling stability Fair in the alpine with a caution for
windloading on NE-N-NW aspects and crossloaded features, and G at
Treeline and below. Considering the additional 20-30cm snow in the
forecast this could change quickly, especially with much wind, but so
far only light to occasionally moderate winds from the south. Hazard
is Considerable in Alpine, Moderate at Treeline, Good Below treeline.

Regards,
Tom Wolfe
Mountain Guide ACMG/IFMGA
Canmore, AB