[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Rogers Pass - Albert Icefields Mar 7/11

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Mar 9 13:25:48 EST 2011

A bit of old news here perhaps, as it is presently snowing outside my window
again, but here is what I have been seeing in the Albert Icefields area as
well as a quick tour of the Asulkan valley in Rogers Pass on Tuesday
Mar.7th.

Basically it is a great snowpack (about time!) and the ski quality has been
amazing. My major concerns right now are southerly aspects where the Feb.21
suncrust is now buried at least 60-70cms - from what I have seen and been
hearing, this is the most active layer out there and is currently capable of
producing size 2.5-3.0 avalanches.

It seems that this crust is limited to steeper aspects in Treeline and
Alpine terrain and is somewhat variable depending on a mix of aspect and
incline - I have basically been avoiding this issue by staying off those
aspects - easy when the crust is on the surface and the skiing sucks - but
trickier when you get a new snow dump (like today and tomorrow) and the
skiing is better.

My other major concerns is the recent soft cornice formation from last
week's wind and snow, which will likely continue to develop with these next
systems.

Other than that, Mar.7th I noticed on the Youngs Peak Headwall as well as
the very top of Mt. Leda's East face, a very hard buried windslab that the
upper snow was having difficulty adhering to in the very steepest part (45
egrees) - though this old buried windslab is widespread it does not appear
to be a major issue except in these exceptionally steep areas where it has
remained exposed from sluffing and is very hard (difficult to even kick a
step into).

Obviously we will have to watch the next storm and see how things bond in
the short term - especially since they are forecasting some significant
winds for the next couple of days.

Have a great winter!

Cheers,

Scott Davis