[MCR] Central Coast Mountains; high in the alpine surface hoar

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Mar 9 14:31:12 EST 2011

high alpine surface hoar on the upper Tellot Gl

I have been skiing areas between the Homathco valley and the Klinakini valley the past few days. It has been clear and unusually calm at high elevations. I have observed a layer of surface hoar with crystals up to 20mm at 10,500ft! Some aspects have a slight sun-crust, with surface hoar on top of the crust
Today we are getting southerly winds and moderate snowfall, presumably this layer is getting buried in some areas. Hopefully the southerly wind has destroyed a lot of the surface hoar, but there may be areas where it is getting buried today. In general the mid and lower snowpack seems to be fairly strong on the coastal side of the divide.

Paul Berntsen