[MCR] Mons / Lyell Icefield area

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Mar 9 15:56:21 EST 2011

We just spent the last 4 days in the new Mons Hut at the base of Mons Peak.

Some notable observations that we had as of this morning (March 9):

Snowpack depths averaged 270-300cm on both the Lyell and Mons side. The upper 45cm was low density fluff that made the skiing epic. Below that was a very hard slab, created by a wind event over a week ago. Probing of the snow showed that this hard slab and the underlying layers were at least a metre thick in many places, creating a very solid bridging layer. Crevasse issues were minimal with the deeper snowpack around here. The cornices on the Division Ridge between the two icefields are massive right now, and plenty of clearance was given!

We observed sluffing in the upper low density snow, and light to moderate westerly winds yesterday started moving snow at higher elevations (above 2800m). We did turn around near the summit of Mons Peak, due to a 40cm soft slab sitting on the slope we had to cross.

Temperatures hovered near -12 to -16 for the entire duration, and just started warming to -7 this morning with the latest storm coming in. With the forecasted snow and winds, conditions will undoubtably change in this area.

The spring ski season should be great with the deep snowpack!

Chris Gooliaff
ASG / AAG