[MCR] Selkirks: Valkyr Range

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Mar 22 12:32:36 EDT 2011

Another good week at Valkyr Lodge. We didn't receive much snow over
the week in this zone but the skiing was good nonetheless.

Our main concerns for most of the week were isolated windslabs and
large cornices. There were a few small naturally-triggered windslab
avalanches and two large cornice falls with a wind event the night of
the 18th/19th.

A significant warming event occurred March 20, which caused us to
avoid solar aspects. This bright day caused suncrusts to form on all
sun affected slopes from E thru NW aspects from mountain top to the
valley bottoms. Numerous loose snow and thin slab avalanches occurred
on south aspects on March 20 with the warming.

We didn't see evidence of widespread deeper instabilities in snow
profiles or with the warming event, cornice falls or skiing. However,
our nearest neighbours have been seeing issues associated with
suncrusts buried in February and early March on south aspects.

Drove through Rogers Pass and the Rockies last evening and things
were looking decidedly spring-like with lots of wet snow avalanches
and most slopes looking like they've had some degree of cooking.

Mark Klassen