[MCR] Robertson Glacier, Kananaskis Country

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Mar 23 20:06:00 EDT 2011

Staff training today on the Robertson Glacier.

A mix of sun and cloud this morning turned to convective flurries through the day. Temperatures were mild and the winds swapped back and forth from SE to SW through the day. Between 3 and 5cm of new snow fell overnight. The areas we skied today were not affected by solar radiation or warming, but it certainly was on our mind given the recent transition to spring.

The glacier is very well filled in at the moment except for a couple of obvious crevasses near the toe, and a section in the middle that had been previously scoured down to bare ice by a large avalanche some time ago. Total snowdepths were in excess of 350cm at mid glacier. Travel conditions were quick and easy with 10 to 20cm ski penetration. The upper glacier has been heavily wind affected and now has a variety of surfaces including, soft slab and bullet-proof hard slab at 2800m. Ski quality suffered as a result, but did improve significantly as we lost altitude.

Unfortunately cloud and snow moved in as we reached the col, so we did not get a good look at the slope descending to the Haig Glacier. The very top of this slope is scoured down to bare rock, which is not unusual.

Numerous cornice failures were observed in different parts of the range today, including Snow Peak (near Burstall Pass) and Mt. Smuts. Cornice failures seem to be happening on a daily basis.

Play safe!

Jeremy Mackenzie
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
Kananaskis Country Public Safety