[MCR] Cirque Peak, Banff Park, May 7

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat May 7 23:14:58 EDT 2011

Ken Bibby and I skied up Cirque Peak with a group from Thompson Rivers University Adventure Studies. We ascended the peak via Helen Creek and the south ridge. Very good travel conditions with a couple of cm's of new snow on a supportive crust. Ski crampons were utilized for much of the ascent, and we boot hiked the final 100 metres. We didn't bring boot crampons, and didn't need them.

We did a 60 m lower off the two bolt anchor, from the notch between the summits and down the north facing couloir, and skied out Jimmy Simpson creek to the highway.

Great ski conditions with well settled snow and a bit of soft powder on the high north facing slopes, and supportive corn skiing on the solar aspects in the afternoon. Quite cool temps for May ( -7 C at 07:00 at 2300m) and no dramatic warming, with cloud in the morning and broken sky cover the afternoon.

Jordy Shepherd