[MCR] Selkirk Mtns - Rogers Pass - NRC Gulley May 14/2011

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat May 14 17:50:28 EDT 2011

Went for some mid morning corn on NRC Gulley in Rogers Pass today, but lack
of overnight freeze resulted in rather underwhelming skiing and kept me
below the mid path rock band.

The snow surface consisted of 5 cms of wet previously frozen snow over a
supportive upper snowpack (At least where I was), made for easy tracksetting
on the way up but sticky skiing on the way down.

Of note I observed 2 large slabs (size 3)that had released within the last
day or so - they were located in shallow windward rocky features
(West/Southwest aspect -@ 2400m.)and failed at or close to the ground.
Something to keep in mind when managing overhead terrain.

I was back down to the highway by 11:30 and hadn't seen anything run at that
point in time - but I suspect some solar aspects may have acted up later in
the day.

The weather man is calling for a risk of frost overnight in Revy so perhaps
we will get a better freeze tonight - without it there will be no fun had -
but if it does there is could be some nice corn skiing waiting up Connaught
Ck. drainage (behind the hotel) - gonna take an early start though!

Cheers,

Scott Davis