[MCR] Mt Victoria

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat May 14 18:35:39 EDT 2011

For anyone still interested in glisse, some friends and I have experienced
excellent skiing above Lake Louise lately. We skied from the South Summit of
Victoria yesterday (May 13), via the NE Face. Despite the light freeze
overnight, the snow carried well during the approach. The NE Face itself was
in the best shape I've seen with good coverage and supportive, boot-top step
kicking for the way up.

A light wind helped keep things cool and we did not observe any moist snow
on the the NE Face proper. Below 3000 meters, we had good corn skiing by
10am. Although there was a great deal of debris present on solar aspects, we
did not observe any avalanches during our travels.

Temps at the lake were -1 at 3:30 am and -5 on the summit at 9:00 am. Oddly,
the lake seemed better frozen on the way back at 11:30am than it did at 3:30
am.

For anyone headed up that way, it would be better to travel towards the toe
of the Victoria Glacier before cutting off towards the Tea House. The Plain
of Six Glaciers Trail is strewn with debris for most of it's length and
makes for unpleasant travel.

Cheers,
Andrew

--