[MCR] Rock and Ice near Canmore.

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Oct 23 19:31:00 EDT 2011

Hola!

Just a couple of quick obs. from the last week and a bit.I've been rock guiding (believe it or not) for the last two weeks or so. It's actually been surprisingly comfortable with clear skies and direct sun exposure, even despite the single digit high temps. Best options seemed to be the lines on the back of Tunnel Mountain in Banff (Gooseberry, Tonka, Ballista) which was loosing the sun around 2:30pm, Guide's Rock (Aftonroe, Take it for Granite etc...) stayed sunny all day, as did our days up on Yamnuska. Lasts nights snow as well as that in the next few days' forecast might mean we're not so lucky this coming week, but never know.
Also went up to do some Ice Climbing yesterday with Clinton Winterhalt (ARG) at Ranger Creek. R&D, Lone Ranger, and Chalice were all in good shape. We played around on R&D for an hour or so but all the lines looked like they'd have some fun climbing right now. R&D was in good shape, decent protection and good hooking the whole way.
Have fun out there.

Mike Trehearne
Alpine Guide & Asst. Ski Guide
mike at cloudnineguides.comwww.yamnuska.com