[MCR] Grays Peak - Kokanee Glacier Park

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Sep 5 16:42:16 EDT 2011

We climbed the SW Ridge on Grays Peak yesterday under blue skies. The
flagging I had left last year to mark the trail from the old mining road at
the 2nd switchback to the boulder field (which is also the ascent & descent
route for the North Face) was almost entirely gone after a monster snowpack
had eaten away at my overly biodegradable tape. There was the odd sign of
passage but expect some bushwhacking here.

The SW Ridge rarely gets climbed but is an excellent day out with some fun
climbing, great views and good exposure. A route description for this and
other area objectives can be found here:
<http://mountainsense.ca/checklists/West%20Kokanee%20Park%20Objectives.pdf>
http://mountainsense.ca/checklists/West%20Kokanee%20Park%20Objectives.pdf

We brought crampons expecting exposed ice on the north glacier but
everything was still snow covered. Unfortunately all the snow patches below
the Kokanee-Grays Col have melted out though so no boot skiing left here.

Cheers,
Shaun King ACMG / UIAGM Mountain Guide
www.mountainsense.ca +1-250-505-5139
www.facebook.com/mountainsense