[MCR] Rockies, Mt Athabasca, AA Col

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Sep 6 09:20:09 EDT 2011

Seven ACMG guides and 18 guests summited Mt Athabasca via the AA Col
route yesterday, September 5th. The storm snow from earlier in the
week has largely disappeared from below the glacier level. Once on
the glacier 10-15 centimetres of that storm snow made for good steps
even given a breakable crust from the overnight freeze. The storm
snow got knee deep on the steep slopes from the head of the AA
Glacier to the Athabasca saddle. The snow was deeper on the main
slope and much shallower out on the screes to climber's left.

We considered descending via the North Glacier and Ramp Route, but
dry wind blown snow above 10,000 feet led us to assume that a wind
slab would be sitting on the Ramp and we descended the AA Col.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com