[MCR] Rockies: Kicking Horse Pass

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Apr 1 21:22:52 EDT 2012

So today I went to north aspects in the Kicking Horse Pass area and there were issues there as well.

Numerous large avalanches had run on major paths on north and east aspects over the past few days.

In addition to those there were two very fresh size 3 avalanches, one on an alpine east asp of Cathedral Mtn which probably was triggered by early morning sun today and one on the ski line on the glaciated shoulder of Pope's Peak (north aspect). Fracture lines were 1-2 m deep.

I managed to push out a stubborn windslab on an open treeline ridge, it took a couple of hops but then it propagated 90 m around the corner from the east aspect I was on to the north aspect and ran 70 m into the forest. It failed in the storm snow 40 cm down.

We skied tight lines in the forest. Any slope that was sun exposed was moist and will have a crust tomorrow.

Mark Klassen