[MCR] Rockies, Mt. Hector summit. April 3‏

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Apr 4 01:06:44 EDT 2012

I guided a ski ascent of Mt. Hector with two guests today. Cool temps
with moderate winds, gusting at times near the summit and partly cloudy
skies. Great coverage, no visible crevasses, however the snowpack here
has widespread wind affect. The snow was supportive and softish though
and made for easy enough skiing. Minimal ski penetration made for quick
travel and we reached the summit in five hours.

There was a recent size three avalanche off of Little Hector that
stepped down to ground. It initiated from a cornice and has an
impressive crown (see picture). There is still much hangfire that has
not avalanched off of this feature which threatens the approach. We were
able to easily boot pack the moraine above this runout zone to avoid
exposure to this.

There are definitely wind slabs present which
we were able to avoid. Heading to the summit ridge had some harder
snow/ice sections but we did not need crampons as we did find some
softer neve to the side. Summit ridge has cornices but one can stay a
safe distance from them. The final summit step was rimmed up but easily
cleared for climbing.

Excellent panorama of the Rockies this day.

Eric Dumerac- Professional Mountain Guide
✆ 403-609-1564
Mountain Skills Academy