[MCR] Southern Purcells

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Apr 3 23:56:06 EDT 2012

I was out for a ski in the St. Mary's drainage (Dewar Creek Armour Pk area).  This was my first trip in the area in a month.  First of all there is large amounts of storm snow from the previous week.  Our test show a very deep snow pack over 450 cm at an elevation of 2000 m NE aspect very large lee slope.  There was 120 cm of snow on the March 26th facet layer which reacted to lower end hard sudden results.  There was also evidence of this layer reacting Na during the storm in moderate terrain in the Alpine.  Their where a few large new cornices falls that did make the March layer react but did not step down to the deeper valentines layer.

While skiing no other weaknesses where observed but with the rapid day time heating and strong solar effect we skied conservative as the slopes became affected.
I think this March 26th layer could possibly be triggered by skiers if you are pushing the terrain and probably be triggered with day time heating and solar effect or cornice fall.  The cornices are extremely large and deserve a wide buffer.

Cheers
Dan Madell
ACMG Ski Guide