[MCR] Rockies, Coire Dubh Integral

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Apr 9 10:52:46 EDT 2012

I guided an ascent of Coire Dubh Integral yesterday, April 8th. A clear and cold night made for better ice on the first pitch than one week ago when it climbed like "detached stiff slush". There was even some new ice formed overnight. Having said that, I doubt that the curtain will survive the heat forecast for mid week.

The rest of the traditional route was in good shape and there has been a 10 centimetre thick blanket of snow added to the route in the last week. No rockfall. The exit gully gets a ton of sun now and we punched steps through a small pile of avalanche debris from a solar slough in the last 48 hours just below the 5.2 pockets pitch. It was good to be off the face at noon. Lots of fresh wind deposited snow along the ridge line over Loder peak that tapered to no snow by the time we were 150 metres above the 1A Highway.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com