[MCR] South Coast, Spearhead Traverse

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Apr 7 23:52:49 EDT 2012

I've been skiing the steeper lines on the Spearhead Traverse for the last 3 days. North aspects are in excellent shape. The surface snow is facetting and generally even under ski.
Crevasses that I've been close to are generally well filled and deeply bridged.
S aspects are heating but I only saw one skiier triggered slide in steep terrain in the later morning sun. Temps in the higher alpine are generally cool. This morning it was -8 and the day before it was -14. Mid day air temps where around 0. Moderate SE winds effected the region this morning and presently (just north of Overlord Mt) it is blowing solidly 40km/hr from the East . I consider the hazard in the Alpine a solid Moderate, but cornices are big and mid day heating is in effect as is some recent windslab formation.
Dave Sarkany
DSK Guiding

ACMG Ski Guide
SKGABC Level 3 Sea Kayak Guide