[MCR] Rockies, Wapta Peyto hut to Bow hut April 7-8

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Apr 10 00:19:10 EDT 2012

I was on the Wapta April 7-8th. We approached Peyto via the canyon option. This was in very good condition with the requisite boot pack to overcome the little wind lip on lookers left easy with good bucket steps. We skied Mt. Habel and found very good snow with a thin soft wind skin in places that did not affect skiing or stability. There was a moderate wind at times on the 7th which transported some snow and built isolated windslabs. On the 8th we skied out via Bow hut and conditions were very good. Down from Bow Hut we took the canyon exit here as well instead of traversing to the right as per usual and the canyon was well filled in and made for a quick exit. We received a couple centimeters of snow on the 7th and had a low of -14 on the trip with mostly light winds.

We did not see much avalanches or signs of instability apart from very steep and rocky solar aspects with a few sloughs to size 1.5. Excellent snow coverage and conditions on the Wapta now.

Eric Dumerac- Professional Mountain Guide
✆ 403-609-1564
Mountain Skills Academy