[MCR] Mt. Whymper & Popes Peak North Aspect Ski Tours, Rockies, April 9th & 10th.

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Apr 10 17:40:34 EDT 2012

Found dry snow on true north aspects down to ~1950m on the shoulder of Narao exit from Popes peak yesterday (about 1/2 way down the shoulder) and to valley bottom in Chickadee Valley, below the north side of Mt. Whymper, today.
Morning travel was quick in both locations with a semi-supportive, but fast, crust on sun-affected aspects and easy trail breaking with ~10-20cm ski penetration on North aspects. Overall snow depth and coverage was great in both locations, allowing easy travel through the forest & moraines.

Both days saw the forecasted rise in daytime temperature. Today we experience only a weak overnight freeze with -1°C at the Great Divide parking lot at 6am. We saw regular avalanche activity on steep sun-exposed alpine features beginning at 09:30. Both days we saw a variety of recent slab and loose-snow avalanches primarily on sun-exposed aspects. We were concerned about day-time heating and departed and returned early both days.

The large avalanche mentioned in this previous MCR report would have affected the entirety of the upper ski line to Popes col. The fracture line was 1.5 - 3m deep, with summer snow / glacial ice as the bed surface (photo here). New snow depth was 15-50cm over the bed surface.

Ski quality was excellent both days, with little wind effect.
---
Josh Briggs
IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.briggsconsulting.ca