[MCR] Rockies - Crowfoot Mountain & Little Crowfoot Ski - April 10

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Apr 12 15:45:26 EDT 2012

Guests and I enjoyed fabulous conditions on Crowfoot Mountain and Little Crowfoot. Little Crowfoot is the small peak across and NW of Crowfoot mountains South peak.

The ski off Crowfoot Mtn. was O.K. as the sun had softened the crust. There are several shallow spots to watch for on this West aspect. As well it is a bit tracked out, great views however.

Little Crowfoot on the other hand provided excellent boot top dry powder. This run is North facing and offers excellent steep skiing if one hugs the NW ridge below its elegant cliff band. I did a hand shear at the break-over of the steeps down 1 meter and did not get any shears. We did not see any signs of crevasses on this mostly benign glacier. The run is fantastic and though it may seem like the area has many tracks on the approach, as one gains elevation, acres of un-tracked excellent powder appear from Little Crowfoot and its East col.

There was quite strong day time heating/radiation this day with several releases up to size 1.5 form solar aspects mainly initiating from rock bands acting as radiation sponges. Lots of pinwheels rolling down on the morning canyon approach. At elevation we had a high of 8 in the sun and moderate wind only near summits. I also had a good look at Mt. Jimmy Junior and I could see a good amount of wind scoured shallow terrain off the summit ridge and the main unavoidable convex roll (mid-peak) has clear signs of cross loading. These problems could very well be buried by the next storm. This feature could do with a few melt freeze cycles to be in condition.

Eric Dumerac- Professional Mountain Guide
✆ 403-609-1564
Mountain Skills Academy