[MCR] Wapta, Rockies: 16-19 April

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Apr 20 00:59:30 EDT 2012

Just spent 3 days touring around the Wapta. We saw storm cells with convective flurries over the period with new snow accumulations of 10-20cm. These were highly localized so distribution varied greatly. Lots of clag and poor visibility tested our compass, map & altimeter navigation skills on the 18th. When the sun did poke out, it had tremendous power and transformed the snow surface instantaneously to moist. There is lots of snow on ridgetops & steep faces waiting for some sunshine to trigger. It is imperative to start & finish your days early at this time of year.

Up high, we had good freezes overnight. Snow coverage was excellent on most glaciers with depths of 2m50+. On the 17th we climbed Mt. Collie. Knee to thigh deep trail-breaking on the usual double corniced ridge. Today (19th) we followed the well-defined track up St. Nicholas Peak.

Skiing was very good on high north aspects but variable elsewhere depending on sun effect. We didn't use our ski or boot crampons during the trip.

Ken Bélanger
TopCog Adventures Outdoor Guiding & Adventure Travel
ACMG ASG, CAA2