[MCR] Rockies Skiing

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Apr 19 22:06:17 EDT 2012

For those who believe that the Rockies ski season is only just beginning,
here are some recent observations:

Monday April 16
Skied up Chickadee Valley and ascended to the North Col of Mt. Whymper. We
found excellent skiing on the north aspect. Two test profiles revealed a
lack of significant shears in the upper meter of the snowpack and we did
not find a buried temperature crust from the previous week.

Wednesday April 18
Skied Surprise Pass with a lap in one of the south facing bowls along the
way. Temps hovered around -1 with broken skies for most of the day. The
south aspect skied very well with 15 - 20 of creamy snow on top of a
supportive crust. The run down from the pass was fairly tracked but skied
well in soft snow.

Thursday April 19
Parked at Emerald Lake and ascended the summer trail to Hamilton Lake.
From here we skinned up to the col between Emerald Peak and the Top Hat.
The run down to the Emerald Basin Trail was not in great shape and I would
not recommend it until we see a better freeze. A temperature crust was
present from 2400 meters on the north aspect and the snow was quite moist
below 1900 meters. I did find last weeks buried temp crust down about 60
cms with moist snow to this depth. Temps hovered around 1 degree with
mostly overcast skies. Go high or go home I guess.

Cheers,
Andrew

--
Andrew Wexler