[MCR] Spearhead Traverse

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Apr 25 03:25:00 EDT 2012

Today Jamie Selda and I skied from Blackcomb to just above Naden Pass to
drop off some groceries. The alpine lifts on Blackcomb were closed due to
avalanche hazard brought on my warm temperatures. (Whistler Mountain is now
closed for the season) So we started skinning from the bottom of the 7th
Heaven lift, and at tree line the snow was isothermal, deeper then I could
easily feel with my hand. Above 1900m there was a thin crust that held the
upper pack together well, except on sunlit aspects where I could ski cut
small sluffs in steep terrain. This crust held through the day. High clouds
and a cooler temps made for idea fast traverse conditions. Recent warm
conditions have caused many avalanches off many sunlit features. It started
snowing with a strong southerly wind at 6pm. By 8pm, as we left the alpine,
there was about 5cm of new snow accumulated on the old surface. Precip was
rain below 1700m.

Dave Sarkany SG