[MCR] Aftonroe, Guides Rock - Banff

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Apr 24 22:34:17 EDT 2012

Had fun climbing the very popular "Aftonroe" today with two guests in the sunshine.  The climbing is fun and the route has a lot of excellent rock on it.

One thing we found quite disconcerting was a large block near the start of pitch three which is called "the Spike" in the route description.  This block was rocking back and forth a cm or two in the wind and made me nervous enough to avoid having anyone touch it until no one was below.  The last guest then stood on it with no results but I would still treat it with a lot of caution if you are heading up there in the next while.  Any rock that weighs over a tonne and can move in a moderate wind gust should be treated with respect in my opinion. :)

We also met up with a lot of overly friendly ticks so keep a heads up for that.

Nice to transition into the summer climbing season!

Cheers, Conrad Janzen
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.banffmountainguides.com