[MCR] Tower of Babel/East ridge of Mt Temple

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Aug 18 09:38:19 EDT 2012

Climbed the Tower on Thursday and the only thing to note was the descent gully and the amount of unstable rocks/gravel in it from the rains earlier this summer. It is very easy to dislodge many large boulders in the middle of the gully currently. We found the most stable ground to be on the skiers left hand side. This has been a common theme this summer and is something to consider if there are other folks in the gully.

Went up the East ridge yesterday on what had to be the nicest day of the summer in the alpine. No bugs, no wind, no weather issues and perfect conditions on the route. Water is still readily available on top of the Big Step (to the north east from dripping snow patches) and in the Black Towers. The glacier was squeaky frozen snow at 1230 when we crossed it. No crevasse issues to speak of.

Thank you to the Parks Canada Public Safety Team for improving the safety and efficiency of this route...much appreciated!

Get out there and enjoy the alpine perfection while it lasts..have fun!

Mike Stuart
IFMGA/UIAGM Mountain Guide
CanadianAlpineGuides.com