[MCR] Purcells/Bugs conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Dec 2 22:21:15 EST 2012

I toured up above the Bugaboo Lodge again today on S+ SE slopes from 1500 to 2250m. It was obscured all day , snowing 1 cm/hr, temps 0 to -5 and no wind. There is from 30 to 50cm. settled storm snow on the Nov.28 surface. The bottom half of the storm snow has settled in to a four finger plus slab, which produces easy shears on the 28th layer on well preserved 5-6 mm surface hoar. There is another easy storm shear 10cm. down, an uneven collapse.

There was no whumpfing or cracking where I skied.

Settling continues of course with the warm temps and settling cones around the younger larches are 60-80cm. high.

I probed quite a bit and the snowpack under the recent storm remains quite strong.

I couldn't see in to the alpine, so don't know if anything has been moving yet.

Skiing was like silk with a 40cm. ski pen.

Dave Cochrane