[MCR] Popes Peak Area, Yoho National Park, Rockies

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Dec 3 01:38:14 EST 2012

Skied into the N facing bowl on Popes Peak/Narao Shoulder area to take a
look at some of the NE facing couloirs up high today. -5 in the Lake O'Hara
parking lot at 9am. Quick pit at 2240m on a W aspect @ treeline found moist
snow (rounding facets) in the bottom 30cms above the ground, which we
thought was quite interesting. Didn't seem to be affecting the snow sticking
to the terrain however. W face of Narao shoulder is blown clean in the
alpine, but we did find good powder over a supportive midpack in the "Popes
Larches" (NE aspect in the hanging valley). Once we were in the bowl the
couloirs were nowhere to be found, visibility was non-existent above about
2500m. The W facing run down Narao shoulder through the trees was excellent
skiing from 2350m to about 1900m and then the snowpack became punchy, and
you had to be careful to not be face down in the willows. Snow started about
1230pm and kept going all afternoon until we got back to the car, where it
was -1 and there was 2cm of fresh.

Will Woods

AHG, AVI1

via