[MCR] Surprise Pass, Lake Louise conditions for 12/12/03

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Dec 3 20:34:52 EST 2012

Hi again...I spent another great day in the Surprise Pass area today. Conditions have started to change and the surface hoar layer I mentioned yesterday is waking up and becoming unstable. Something i didn't mention yesterday was, at 4:00pm it was starting to snow steadily and winds were picking up. This morning there was evidence of night time winds at tree line and in the alpine. Ridge scouring and lack of snow on the trees in exposed locations.
Overnight: 5 cms of fresh snow
The surface hoar layer is down 20-30 cms below the surface and is becoming reactive to skiers. This layer is producing small skier triggered avalanches in steeper terrain. Also today I saw obvious cracking and small slabs pulling out on the up track corners. Today's moderate winds are redistributing the powder and creating soft slab on the surface on all aspects.I also observed a substantial size 2-2.5 natural avalanche on the north aspect of surprise pass. This avalanche occurred sometime last night, ran from the alpine all the way into tree line.
Be careful out there. Things are changing.
Jonny SimmsACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide.