[MCR] Rogers Pass, conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Dec 6 20:32:00 EST 2012

Hello Everybody

Today we had a truly epic powder day on Grizzly Shoulder, skiing into the Grizzly Bowl and down to Connaught Creek. Ski penetration was anywhere from 30cm to 50cm and boot penetration was variable up to 65cm. The upper snowpack was, in all skied areas, unconsolidated showing some inconsistency while pole probing. At 2200 m. elevation we have observed at several locations deep whumphing, however no cracking has been observed. Test snow profile at elevation 1630 metres aspect SE, open glade in between deep forest, down 55 cm shovel compression test on storm interface failing at moderate shear result with "resistant planar" and down 70cm on November 28th layer the shovel compression test failed at moderate shear result with "resistant planar". A second test snow profile at elevation 2200 metres, directly below the top cliff of Grizzly Shoulder, aspect SW and exposed slope showed a snowpack of 245cm deep. Down 45cm shovel compression test on storm interface failed at moderate shear result and "sudden planar", down 85cm on November 28th layer shovel compression test failed at moderate shear result "resistant planar" and shovel shear test scoring at hard shear result. With the larger amounts of snow-fall we have received over the past days the November 6th crust was my largest concern, it was down 165cm and reacted to a hard shovel shear test result and with the shovel compression test this layer failed with a lower hard result and surprisingly with "sudden collapse" shear characteristics.

Skiing near tree-line and in the sub-alpine in the steep trees and narrow steep glades was amazing and I had no significant concerns. However at tree-line and in the alpine I was definitely reluctant in going near large slopes with steep incline. In these areas skier triggering of moderate size avalanches is definitely likely to very likely.

Conditions will always change and usually unstable conditions don't last for ever. Even while skiing conservative lines we still have lots of fun in deep powder. The big slopes will not run away, but for now it is not advisable to ski steep open terrain, mostly near tree-line and definitely in the alpine.

Enjoy the powder

Ruedi Beglinger
I.F.M.G.A. / A.C.M.G. Mountain Guide
www.selkirkexperience.com