[MCR] South West BC, Manning Park

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Dec 13 15:42:10 EST 2012

I spent the last three days in the Manning Park area near Allison Pass.

At 1900m (tree line) there was about 160cm of snow. Ski penetration was 20cm, foot penetration was about 35cm. In the valley at 1200m there was about 50cm of snow.

We did not see any sign of recent avalanche activity, and the pack here felt fairly strong. The top 40cm is 4 Finger+ hardness, below this the snow gets progressively harder to Pencil strength. There was no November 5th layer to be found. An Extended Column Test produced a partial fracture at 24 hits at the bottom of the 4Finger layer. This fracture formed in broken up and decomposing surface hoar.

Pretty well filled in at tree line and the alpine elevations and the sking was good.

Dave Sarkany
DSK Guiding

ACMG Ski Guide
SKGABC Level 3 Sea Kayak Guide