[MCR] Selkirks: Kokanee

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Dec 20 10:22:14 EST 2012

Just thought we would send out a quick update from Kokanee Cabin prior to the weekend. We've been here since last Saturday and, with the exception of Tuesday, it has snowed steadily with a total of 164 cm falling. That includes 55 cm last night!

Winds have been generally light with occasional periods of moderate. Temperatures have been cold, in the -6 to -18 range. New snow densities have been very light, between 25-45 kg/m3 the entire time. Translation: Kootenay Cold Smoke at overhead levels!

We haven't seen any avalanches since Monday when there was an extensive, easily triggered storm and wind slab problem but avalanche sizes were small size ones only.

We haven't been able to travel far and have only skied close to the lodge at treeline elevations. Our primary avalanche concerns are some very soft buried windslabs within the storm snow. We suspect this windslab problem is of far greater concern in alpine areas. We have observed the November 28 surface hoar layer buried about 150 cm, and the basal faceting rain crust in thin areas but have not been able to produce any shear results on those layers with our testing.

Regardless, we are limiting our terrain choices to smaller, moderate-angled slopes. The skiing has been fantastic.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide

Geoff Osler
Ski Guide