[MCR] Kootenay Pass, Southern Selkirk Mountains

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Dec 28 23:53:12 EST 2012

Went for a tour up the Cornice Ridge side of Kootenay Pass today. Drove
up into the fog, but by 10AM it cleared off. Then the clouds started
coming back in around noon. Temperatures hovered around -8C during the
day.

Didn't see any evidence of recent avalanche activity, but plenty of
evidence of wind. The storm snow of last week was well settled with ski
penetration being no more than boot top. I managed to kick off a very
small wind slab from a north facing, steep rib off of Buzz's Ridge. The
amount of snow that slid would have only filled a couple of
wheelbarrows, but but it reminded us we shouldn't let our guard down.
We skied mainly east or south east facing slopes where the ski quality
was very good.

Have a safe and happy holiday season.

Craig Hollinger,
ACMG Apprentice Ski Guide.