[MCR] Highway 93, Kootenay National Park, BC

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Feb 23 00:37:01 EST 2012

Hi thereI guided the Haffner burn today. Feb. 22nd.
The Valentines day surface hoar layer is apparently waking up.
Mod-Strong westerly winds have and are currently rapidly loading lee features in the Alpine and at Treeline elevations. This wind event has pushed things to the edge and we are
currently in the midst of a dangerous avalanche cycle.
On the drive to the skiing, I witnessed a size 2.5 avalanche on the Stanley Headwall, which obliterated the Extreme Comfort area.
On the up track I observed numerous natural avalanches to size 2.5 on the West side of the highway in the obvious steep avalanche paths.
A lot of whumphing and cracking on the up track.
The Valentines day surface hoar/facet layer buried down 40 cms produced very easy compression test results. Excellent skiing in the burn, but it would have been a death wish to venture outside of the low angle, anchored, tree terrain.On the drive back I again witnessed the Stanley Headwall avalanching.YikesJonny SimmsACMG Ski Guide