[MCR] (MCR) Durrand Glacier

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jan 15 17:02:05 EST 2012

Hello Skiers

We just finished an other fantastic week at the Durrand Glacier Chalet. The snowpack reached a record height for the time of the year. At the Durrand Glacier Chalet elevation 1950m (tree-line) 320cm strongly settled snowpack and at the Mt.Moloch Chalet elevation 2205m 440cm. The week started with a short spike in the avalanche hazard, as a strong storm brought lots of new snow in a short time. During these few days we skied mostly the longer runs at tree-line and in the trees, of which most runs have been 1000 vertical meters. With several test snow profiles each day at various elevations and aspects we had a good understanding of the rapid loading on a minor surface facet layer. As the week went on the storms became weaker and the avalanche hazard rapidly lowered. By Wednesday we felt that it is safe to go hut to hut skiing to the more high alpine Mt.Moloch Chalet. I was positively surprised how fast the layers with concerns tightened up and soon did not show any significant test results while digging test snow profiles. Friday was the grand day of the week. We went to Tumbledown Mtn. and skied from this scenic alpine summit the 1600 vertical metre run "The Powder Line". It is the third longest run in the area and leads from the summit of Tumbledown Mtn. via Tumbledown Glacier - West Ridge - La Traviata - Swiss Meadows - Powder Mania to Carnes Creek. It was an amazing day for all ski guests and for the guides, steep and deep and peak to creek. Looking back at the entire week, observing the rapid changes in the avalanche hazard in all three elevation zones, how quickly the weather turned and the super light and deep powder snow ......... it was a perfect week of skiing in the alpine and in the steep trees.

Short YouTube video of skiing "The Powder LIne" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAh2gVfrVQA

Enjoy the winter and all the amazing powder

Ruedi Beglinger
I.F.M.G.A / A.C.M.G Mountain Guide
Selkirk Mountain Experience
www.selkirkexperience.com