[MCR] Rockies, Louise Fall

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jan 15 21:42:49 EST 2012

Guided Louise Falls today under an overcast sky that produced a few flakes. -11 just after 10 am, no wind on the climb.
Climbing conditions on the route haven't changed a lot since Mike's post after his solid link-up yesterday, with one thing of note. On the second pitch I experienced 2 very large tension releases on the low angle ice in the middle of the climb (P2). The loud crack/popping sound after I placed my tools could be felt in my boots.

With the forecasted drop in in temperatures it would not be surprising to see the large daggers, poised on the roof beside the main climbing line, collapse. With last years very cold winter there were several reports of this happening. Limiting exposure to overhead hazard is prudent anytime. It is especially true during the cold days ahead.

Happy Climbing.

John Freeman
ACMG – Alpine Guide
www.johnfreemanguide.com