[MCR] Rockies, Junkyards, Grotto

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Jan 27 08:30:14 EST 2012

My fellow Mountain Guide, Nick Sharpe, and I guided at the Junkyards on Jan 25th and in Grotto Canyon yesterday, Jan 26th.

The Junkyards grew during the cold snap, lot of fresh ice surfaces. The low angle cramponing area in the trees down low and climber's left is good with frozen froth from halfway. The steep pillar in the main area has got a foothold, see if it survives top roping.

Grotto creek was surface flooded and slushy yesterday. His was climbed as a mixed climb, about the least amount of ice that I can remember seeing on that climb for this time of year -top roped down to the bones. Hers gained some volume with the cold and was in decent shape. Grotto Falls is fat and has some good steep options on the climber's left wall above the half way chain anchor. Top chain anchor is buried under ice.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com