[MCR] Black Prince Ski Touring

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Jan 27 22:37:49 EST 2012

Pleasant day today at Black Prince with temps around -9C @ 11 AM, only light
winds (for a change!) and occasional light snowfall. A quick test profile at
around 2000 meters (halfway up the Black Prince Apron) showed a snowpack a
well settled mid pack in a total snop depth of 155cm. There was an easy
shear on a compression test on small facets at the interface of the recent
storm snow about 25-30 cm down. Our test location was quite unaffected by
recent winds and the overlaying slab was not cohesive enough to where it was
a concern for skier triggering today. I'm sure this would be fundamentally
different in many locations at tree line and above in the area.

It was my first day ski touring in the hill country of Alberta for this
season and I was amazed how wind scoured the terrain above tree line was. On
the positive side, the skiing was excellent today with only few old tracks
visible.

Jorg Wilz

Moutain Guide (ACMG / VDBS / IFMGA)

OnTop ltd.