[MCR] Windtower NE Face and N. Face Rockfall

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Jul 11 21:03:08 EDT 2012

Climbed The Windtower in Kananaskis via the NE Face route, July 9th, 2012
with a friend, Frank C.

Left the car at 0600h, sunny and warm (14deg), winds calm. Even with the NE
aspect, it was 21degrees in the shade by 10:30am on this route. Clouds and
light showers seen to the west over Canmore late in day, with winds picking
up to moderate, but no rain for us. No other parties on route, two parties
later in AM/day at the N face.

Notes - We found a few more bolts on this route than indicated on the most
recent topo, however several appeared significantly corroded and were
backed up by gear/pins whenever possible. Also, a few fixed pins at belays
were found to be loose, even newer looking ones. Bring a hammer.

Overall an enjoyable, full day out on a bigger 'remote-feeling' alpine rock
route. (Special thanks to Frank for the extra effort in the middle pitches,
much appreciated!)

--

N. Face Rockfall - As we approached the base of the NE face (+/-7:45am),
we witnessed a large spontaneous rockfall event just over the 'Iron

--

Josh Smith
ACMG ARG
smithjosh.c at gmail.com