[MCR] Avalanche on The President, BC Rockies, Yoho National Park

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jul 15 11:53:06 EDT 2012

We climbed Mt. McArthur a few days ago and looking across the Little Yoho valley, we could see debris from a recent deep slab release on the NE face of the President. It looked to be approximately 2 metres deep, size 3-3+ and slid on the basal ice above the bergschrund (la rimaye) not far below President Pass. The debris ran quite a long ways directly down the centre of the glacier over the normal climber's route. There is still a significant hanging slab to climber's right. I wouldn't feel comfortable spending much time — if any — below that hangfire. Sorry, no photos. We were too far away without a long lens to capture anything useful.

This observation along with recent reports of deep slabs elsewhere in the Rockies should remind us to always think about what's above us as we move into summer and the snowpack heats up.

Ken Bélanger
ACMG ASG, CAA2