[MCR] Tsar area July 21-28

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jul 29 00:18:46 EDT 2012

I just spent the past week with Art Maki discovering a wonderful little
cluster of rugged small peaks 6-9 km SW of Mount Tsar, just west of the
terminus of the "Odell" glacier.

Conditions on the glaciers are excellent, and rock climbing below 2800m
(about mountain top height of the range we were in) was dry and in great
shape.

We had a torrential 2-day storm on Tues and Wed and last night another
fierce but brief storm. These storms amounted to more than 40mm of
precipitation but below 2800m little in the way of snow accumulations. Our
pilot today relayed a report that the nearby Austerity Glacier had as much
as 30cm of heavy snow above 3000m this week.

Mild freezes at times throughout the week, but yesterday on a steep E
facing snow/ice face at noon we still had less than boot top penetration
and great travel.

Cornices are still present but withered and were largely inactive. Hanging
snowfields were falling apart by 11am yesterday in the heat of the day.

Tom

--
Tom Wolfe
Mountain Guide ACMG/IFMGA