[MCR] Rockies, Mt Athabasca, AA Col

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jun 17 22:21:22 EDT 2012

My fellow Mountain Guide, Greg Golovach, and I shared trail breaking up the AA Col today, June 17th. The lateral moraine above Brewster's snowcoach station is eroding rapidly this year and there are three major drainage chutes reaching further uphill by the day. It would be terminally horrible to fall down one of these in the dark. Despite it being + 5 Celsius in the parking lot the snow carried well with boot top penetration most of the way (Greg and his two guests didn't use crampons. My guests and I used them on the Silverhorn Ridge). Lots of snow everywhere and there will likely be an avalanche cycle when it gets hot.

Six fathers on top of Athabasca today,
happy Father's Day,

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com