[MCR] Wapta Conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Jun 22 14:26:22 EDT 2012

My fellow guide Patrick Delaney and I completed an Intro to Mountaineering Course out of the Bow Hut this past week.

Conditions were mixed with precip most days and freezing levels near 2500m. Snow depth on the Wapta is currently 1.5-3m. Refreeze was limited save for yesterday AM when clear skies affording hard snow and excellent travel requiring crampons.

A few points of note. Cornices are continuing to fail by solar triggering. Bare ice is already visible at the base of the Diableret Glacier. Large icefall was observed on the East Face of Mt. Balfour across the normal traverse route.

Brent Peters
AAG
Yamnuska Inc.

Sent from my iPhone